We have had a really nice time and nice weather since Jeff's dad arrived. Its raining today, but I figured it would be a good day to catch up the blog, post a few pictures and do a little laundry.
The first day Jeff's dad was here we took him around Aberdeen a bit but then let him get some rest since he was feeling a little jet lagged. The next day though Charles and I walked up the hill behind the house and to the church across the road from us and looked at the old church and the cemetery and just spent a little time enjoying the wonderful weather we've been having.
On Friday we took him to Dunnottar Castle and explored around there, let him see the sights and snap some pictures for him to share when he gets back home. To get to the castle you have to take a very steep stair climb down to get there and of course you have to take that same steep climb to get back. So he was really feeling the stairs when we finally got back to the car. But he had fun and it was fun for us to get to see the castle again.
After the castle we decided to drive him to Montrose to see the little beach sea side they have there. We got an ice cream cone, looked over the water and just took a little stroll. He and Jeff went down to the water and put their hand in it. We all agree..........MUCH colder than the Gulf of Mexico (or any other water I've put my hand in). Maybe about the same as the Guadalupe River! LOL
Saturday we went to Johnshaven (which is right by the house) and went to their annual Fish Festival. Its much like the funfair Jeff and I went to a few weeks ago but much smaller and it was more about little booths and live bands. We had some Scottish funfair classics though and walked around and enjoyed another wonderful day. We ran into a friend of Jeff's from work and sat and talk to him and his wife for some time. They've been to Texas and actually many places in the States and really enjoy Texas and think the people are just super friendly and kind. So we had a good time talking to them. They invited us over for a beer at their weekend spot and in turn we invited them over for dinner at our place that evening. Jeff and Charles had put on a brisket, so I made some bbq baked beans and grilled some asparagus and we had a nice dinner. Was a good time!
Okay so Sunday we got up and decided to head South and hit the Dewar's Distillery. Wow! That was fun! We had such a good time. We got a deluxe tour, so we got to see the branding centre, tour the distillery and have a sample for 4 of their whiskey's made there. I had no idea Dewar's made a single malt scotch, but they do and its called Aberfeldy. Which Aberfeldy is the town that Dewar's is made in and where the first distillery is. They now have a huge operation in Glasgow and that's where they take the scotch to age. So we took the tour through the branding centre and learned all about the start up of Dewar's and how it became. After we toured the branding centre we sat down to try 4 different tastings. Wow! Okay Jeff and Charles are scotch drinkers..........I, however am not! LOL So needless to say I was a bit overwhelmed with the 4 different tastings. But it was really fun and quite the experience. Then we took the tour of the distillery and got to see how they make Scotch and the process it goes through. Again............Wow! After our tour of the distillery we went back to the coffee shop and had a snack and a cup of coffee. It was so much fun. I had planned for us to do the tour strictly with Charles and Jeff in mind and what they would like. I had no idea how interesting it would be to me and how much fun we'd have. I have to laugh and tell everyone that when we walked up to Dewar's when we first got there you can smell the Scotch! Its this strong aroma that just fills the air. Charles starts singing, "I'm in Heaven............I'm in Heaven". LOL To funny!
Jeff and Charles in front of the Distillery after the tour. Do they look tipsy? LOL
So we drove back and enjoyed the scenery. Its such a beautiful drive. It skirts around the highlands and its really just beautiful! We stopped on our way there at the River Tay and took a couple of pictures there too. A really pretty bridge too! I just love the architecture around the UK.
The bridge that we crossed at the River Tay
So that's the holiday so far! We are headed to Paris this week. Looking forward to it!

No comments:
Post a Comment