Thursday, 17 June 2010

A wee conversation at the bus stop

While waiting on the bus today I had a wee conversation with an elderly (Scottish) man. I was listening to my ipod while waiting and he was standing next to me. This is how the conversation went........

Scot: You must be listening to something good!

Me: (nodding my head) Rascal Flatts today

Scot: WHO?

Me: Rascal Flatts........country music?!?

Scot: what kind of music is that?

Me: Ummmm........country.......kind of low key......but good beat

Scot: like Johnny Cash

Me: (chuckling) yeah sort of.....but newer band, a little more upbeat than Johnny Cash

Scot: I gather from your accent you aren't from around here. You on holiday?

Me: I'm from America, Texas to be exact and no, I'm not on holiday, I live here now.

Scot: Yeah? Where abouts do you live around here?

Me: Bervie

Scot: Ah I see......nice village. How long you lived here?

Me: a year and a half so far

Scot: What brings you to this side of the pond?

Me: My husbands job

Scot: How long do you get to stay?

Me: We have a two year contract

Scot: But then you get to sign again and stay longer, yeah, cause you want to stay longer, yeah?

Me: We'll see.

Scot: Oh why......you don't want to stay?

Me: Well it's not that, we just have to see what comes up next.

Scot: I see. It's a gorgeous day.........yeah?

Me: Beautiful day! Well there is my bus, I must run.

Scot: Oh, what bus is that for?

Me: Montrose

Scot: Oh that's me too.

My thoughts.................'crap this guy is gonna talk to me all the way home'. lol

But he got on the bus, sat toward the back and I guess enjoyed his ride to Montrose.

Just a wee conversation with what was really a nice Scottish man. This is often a typical day out and about in the smaller villages when I am by myself. People strike up conversations with me, hear my accent...........and then it's all about how we came about being here.
One day I stepped into a shop to buy a couple of things and when I checked out the lady struck up a conversation with me because of my accent and it took me 30 more minutes to politely tell her I had to go and thank her for my purchase. The Scots are really very nice people and always like to talk about the weather!

No comments:

Post a Comment