Tuesday, 1 September 2009

Learning to drive in the UK

To me, nothing is more terrifying than roundabouts! Even more terrifying is when you are in a city that not only has roundabouts but also has intersections. What the crap? Could they not make up their minds?
Okay so those of you that don't know what a roundabout is.........well its the European version of an intersection, only there are no lights (except occasionally for pedestrians to have the right of way to cross the street) and its a round circle in the middle of the road and you go around it until you get to the street you want to turn off onto and then you signal to do so. And there are all these rules like...........you have to be in the right hand lane if you are going to stay in the roundabout for longer than the second exit. You also have to turn on your blinker to the right, indicating you are going to get into the roundabout at least until the second exit and then you have to turn your blinker on to the left when you are ready to get out of the roundabout. And the only time its acceptable to not indicate the blinker to the right is when you are taking the first exit (which is essentially a left hand turn). Its crazy! Of course mind that you are also on the left hand side of the road. So roundabouts are the thing that terrifies me the most about driving here.

The only thing worst than that is when you are in the roundabout and the car next to you is so fascinated by our left hand GMC car that they aren't paying attention and almost hit you. As if the lanes aren't narrow enough here......we have that to add. SIGH! If only you knew how much anxiety I get when I think of having to drive into Aberdeen city centre.

But I keep thinking that the more I drive the more use to it I will get.

I will say though that they exercise lane discipline far better than we do in America. For instance they are strict about their passing lane. If you have a dual carriage way (meaning two lanes headed in the same direction) then you keep to the left unless you are passing and then you get into the right hand lane, pass and then move back over to the left. I know we are SUPPOSE to do that in Texas now.............(of course being on the right hand side of the road we are to keep to the right and pass in the left), but I think as a whole we are still not use to doing it that way and lots of people tend to stay in that left hand lane aka the fast lane!

Today I had to take Jeff to the heliport, which is in North Aberdeen, and we live South of Aberdeen. So that meant I had to drive back through Aberdeen by myself. I did okay but sure was a little stressed about the drive by myself.
So here's hoping that I adjust to driving here before we move! LOL

1 comment:

  1. Very terrifying! And folks over there tend to be more aggressive drivers.

    I must say though, I only ever saw one wreck while I was in Ireland!

    ReplyDelete