Now I haven't been to Country Tavern in some time but use to it was an annual tradition at one of my previous employers for the whole office to go there the day before Thanksgiving and have ribs and beer. It was our annual treat and since our work "family" was just as much part of our daily lives as our home family........we celebrated Thanksgiving each year at this place on the Wednesday prior to Thanksgiving. It was something we looked forward to all year. And yes, the ribs were THAT good. And if you've ever been there then your memory of the ribs is probably making you drool right now, so wipe the drool off you chin before it drips on your keyboard! And if you live near by, then visit soon and have some ribs for me!
One year when we went for our annual tradition, we arrived to find that the place had changed hands and been remodeled. Now you can't imagine the horror that we felt because typically, at least in Texas, if a place changes hands and is remodeled then that usually means the food is not going to be the same and therefore the best ribs in East Texas would be no more. Thankfully.........we were pleased to find that while they did have new ribs.......they also carried the "old recipe". So no fear, as far as I know, you can still get those fab ribs!
So aside from just the shock of thinking the food would not be the same, I have one very fond memory of the place that day that will probably stick to my mind forever......like super glue. At some point, especially when drinking beer, a person must excuse themselves to use the "washroom". I remember walking into the newly remodeled restroom and being totally amazed at the new "porcelain gods" they had. They were pure porcelain potties that were black! Wow I thought...........and maybe it was the beer.........but there were several of us that just kept saying things like "have you seen the bathrooms............those toilets?" Laugh......but I am telling you........it was a REALLY nice bathroom!
Okay......there is a point to this story........I swear! See personally I think the whole reason I was so impressed is because I hadn't really seen a toilet that was any other color than white in many, many years! It's just not that common, at least anywhere down South to see a toilet any other color than white. So imagine my surprise when I arrived at our new home in Scotland to find that the toilets pretty much match the wall color. And no, the walls aren't white and no they are not black either! In one bathroom the walls are a green color...........as is the toilet. Not avocado green like the 70's fridgerators and ovens! More like a sage green! And another bathroom has kind of a tan color wall with a touch of pink in it............as does the toilet!
Okay so before you go on thinking that this house was built some 50 years ago and these are the original toilets, bear in mind this house is just a little over 10 years old. And I am thinking that here it is common to find colored toilets and that its ones desire to match it to the wall color........or maybe match the wall color to the toilet?!?! At any rate, its really quiet clever to make it all blend. Cause lets face it, the toilet is not the focal point of a bathroom or the fashionable seat that people want to look at. Unless of course its at Country Tavern! LOL Now let it also be known.........that white walls and white toilets are not a bad thing either. Personally I love the black "porcelain god" I seen at Country Tavern and would love to have one in a bathroom one day in my own home.
So before you send me more emails or comments about how your house or your grandma's house has colored toilets in it.........just bare in mind that I am talking a Southern home, not a up North because I have seen them up there, and not a home that is generations old.........so no plantation homes in Louisiana, Mississippi or Alabama and not your home that has been passed down from generation to generation. But if you have a home that has been built in the 90's or since........and you have colored toilets............and you live in the South...........feel free to email or comment. I'm not knocking it, by no means, I just prefer white or black. Like I said, I find it very clever. It's just very rare to me! And don't write me and tell me that you have a black toilet either because then I'll just be highly jealous!
So there you have it................these are the things I think about when I am cleaning and there is no music for me to sing to while I clean!
And YES my mind has so many levels of complex that one could never get through them all! ;)
From ribs to toilets. Fantastic!!
ReplyDeleteWe miss you Melanie!!