So I had my first visit to the NHS. The NHS is their health care system, that's government ran. I wasn't going to blog about this on here but then thought, this is part of Scotland, this is part of our life living here, so I felt it was appropriate to blog about it.
So before I get into the visit, let me explain that I feel the need to blog about this because this is the kind of system we are moving toward in the U.S. And I know that we all, as individuals have our thoughts on what should or shouldn't be. So I sincerely hope that anyone that reads this will not be upset and know that it's just my experience with NHS here and it's my opinion on government ran health care for the U.S. Don't get me wrong, I believe we need some sort of health care reform in the U.S. and I think that we can find a way to help those that don't have insurance, but I don't think government ran health care is the answer. Eventually we will run out of money and our debit will be so enormous that we won't be able to dig ourselves out. So what happens is the system will suffer and ultimately the patients suffer.
Okay.........so about the visit. Last week, a week prior to my visit, I went in and filled out paperwork so it would already be on file. I also gave them my medical records from the U.S. and allowed them time to copy them for my file there. So today was my visit. When I arrived I let them know I was there for my appointment. They sent me back to a little waiting area to wait to be called into a a doctors office. I can't really accurately describe the clinic, but the closest thing I can get too is a little less than a Plan Parenthood office I went into when I was in college to get a check up. It wasn't great, but it served the purpose, I suppose is the best way to describe it. It's not like the nice, high tech offices you see in the states. While I was waiting I was reading some of the information that was plastered on the walls and one of the sheets was explaining that you get only 10 minutes with a doctor and only one patient at a time. Another sheet explained that the NHS could no longer afford a medicine for cancer and that you should contact NHS or talk to a doctor about it if you were on the medicine. There were a lot of leaflets on things like depression, menopause, how to stay healthy in the winter, the usual stuff.
Eventually I got called back to the doctors office and as I walked in the doctor told me who she was and ask me to have a seat. The office had two chairs in it and there was a desk (like the ones in a college computer class) in the corner. In another corner was a little sink area and behind a partially drawn curtain was a little exam table/bed. Not like the ones we are use to seeing in the states, but just a simple little bed. Kind of reminded me of the nurses office in school, when we were little. That's the best comparison I can come up with.
So I sat down and she ask me what she could do for me. I told her I was there to get a prescription refill and to make my first visit to NHS. She hadn't even looked over my records at all. She ask me what I was taking and why. So after trying to give her my medical history in like 2 minutes, she explained to me that they didn't have that particular medication here but that she'd phone the chemist (pharmacy) to see what they would recommend. When she called and got a busy signal she told me she'd call me later today or tomorrow, in at least a week and let me know what medicine she had prescribed and send me to pick it up. Then she basically was done. She never took my blood pressure, she never weighed me, she never even touched me, much less examine me. And my medication bottles had my maiden name on them since I got them filled right when I got married. So there you have it.........in and out in 5 minutes. Not a care in the world about the fact that I was a new patient and no need to verify who I was. At no point did anyone ever ask me for any identification at all.
Personally, I had hoped that they'd care a bit more about me, enough to at least start a basic chart with them. But not even so much as that. I got less than my 10 minutes, and I can't even tell you what my blood pressure is or was. And I had to make sure that I explain to her why I had to have a low dose of medicine! Really..........is that the state we are in that a doctor doesn't even care enough about ya to ask basic questions? And I even took the time to ask her if there was anything else, if I needed to be examined, if I needed to do anything else and she simple said, "No, that's fine, thanks". And out the door I was sent.
As I said to a friend........quicker than a Jiffy Lube and they didn't try and sell me a bunch of extra stuff. They didn't try to sell me anything!
And if you think it's a fluke that I got treated this way, I assure you that I've spoke to several people here that has said that's the norm. And when calling the 24 hour NHS you can almost certainly be told to self medicate. If you ever visit a hospital you won't find many, if any private rooms there.
If America goes to government ran health care, we are in for a rude awakening! I can also say that the amount of taxes we pay, I feel like I was ripped off with my time at NHS. I guess I just expect that as much taxes we pay, and we do pay NHS and taxes here, we aren't exempt because we are American, that we'd get better care. That all of the UK would get better care.
So for those of you that are for health reform the way they are presenting it now, government ran, I think this is the sort of care that will eventually come. Maybe not in our lifetimes but certainly in our children's or our children's children's life time.
No comments:
Post a Comment