Thursday, 23 July 2009

Starving kids in Ethiopia!

When I was a kid and my mom served something for dinner that I absolutely hated (which was usually salmon patties, lima beans or brussel sprouts) I would spat at the mouth, "WHY do I have to eat this......I HATE it"! To which my dad usually replied, "You should be thankful! There are starving kids in Ethiopia that would love to have this for dinner". To which my rebuttal was usually, "Well fine, send them my brussel sprouts"! That response usually earned me at least one of three things.......1) an extra helping of brussel sprouts (or whatever we were having that I was complaining about); 2) a good ole fashion butt spanking; and/or 3) a good ole fashion grounding where precious privileges were taken away from me for a given period of time that was usually about a week. Now having said that............I know that there are "starving" people in this world that are in much need of rain! So my rebuttal will be, "FINE, send them MY rain"! Of course I am prepared that the consequences of my rebuttal will most likely earn us more rain here in Scotland.
But seriously...............all kidding aside............enough with the rain already! Who knew that it could rain this much in July, anywhere on the face of the earth besides, maybe the rain forest! I am thinking any day now that the lovely cultivated slope in our back yard is going to become a land slide and end up right at the door step of the back door. Grant you I love the cooler weather and while the rain seems to be daily, at least its not hot and humid like it was in Texas after a July rain. Or those dreadful humid afternoons in Lafayette when it would rain for a brief time in the late afternoon and cause my hair to poof up into a big frizz ball because of the humidity.
So okay.......the silver lining is at least its not humid here!

On a side note I will add that after my punishment I would usually add insult to injury by saying, "You are so mean and I am NEVER going to make my kids eat brussel sprouts, salmon patties or lima beans". Their reply, "Just wait until you are an adult, you'll understand". Well let it be known that to this day, even though I don't have kids yet, I will never make them eat brussel sprouts, lima beans OR salmon patties. And do you know WHY? Because to this day I STILL HATE all three! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment