Thursday, 14 January 2010

The Post that no one wants to read......or believe!

Yes, it's true........this is the post that no one really wants to read or believe is true. This is the post that kind of brings a little reality to the situation and brings forth the concept that things aren't always peachy and rosy when living in the rolling green hills of Scotland. Sorry folks........but now and then you have to have a post like this..........it's life......it's reality............just the way it is.

So what have I been up too lately? I've been busy and haven't blogged in several days and the posts have been kind of bland........haven't they? We haven't really traveled much lately, (but hey Jeff has to work some time) and I've not been taking very many interesting photos lately. So what gives.......you ask? It's cold, it gets dark early, it's snowy, Jeff's working a lot and so he's offshore a lot, and well..............things are a little drab. Things get a little old and redundant, even in the land of rolling green hills! And I've really been longing for someone to talk to that "gets it". It's nothing against my family and friends back home or even the friends I've made here. But unless you've really kind of been in this situation, it's hard to understand. It's even hard for Jeff to understand my side of the situation because while we've both moved and have this big adventure together, he's still very much involved in his career and he interacts with people on a daily basis. Me, I spend more time interacting with Simba, Rhett and Audrey than I do anyone else. Okay............don't make it sound like I am crazy cat lady or that I am pathetic................blaka, blaka, blaka! It's not that boring really in my life and I stay busy doing other things........I just long for the interaction with other people. It's in my nature.......it's who I am, it's what I do.

Not that it's a bad thing hanging out with these sweet furkids. This is Audrey (the black cat) and Rhett. Audrey is the sweetest kitty and this is really one of the first times she's really kind of sit like this for me to take a good picture of her. She has really come out of her "shell" since I've been home a lot.

For those of you that personally know me.............then you know this..............I am (at least until I moved here) a very independent person. I am career minded and orientated and I love challenges of completely a job, at my best ability and like most people, I love to feel that accomplishment. I love to socialize and interact and I love to get involve in community events and help out where I can. And at the same time I love being a wife, cooking, and just being part of the life I have now. But this year a lot has changed for me. I went from being that independent, living alone and single gal that loved her job, the people she worked with and loved being able to relax on the weekends with Jeff and be part of that life too. This year I got married, quit my job to move half way across the world with my loving husband and be a housewife. We came to a country where we would know no one and have no friends and would have to start nearly from scratch.............plus newly married and living together for the first time. Okay............and then you throw in there the occasional home sickness and the general differences between living in the U.S. and living in Scotland.
Okay..............so like I said............not the post people want to read about "life in Bonnie Scotland". lol But it's the truth...............and sometimes you just have to put it out there so people at least "sort of" get it!

So what am I doing about it.........you ask? I got a word a couple of months ago that there was a women's group here in Aberdeen that was an association for Americans and Canadians living and working here. After some research I found some information on the group and how to get in touch, be a member and kind of a general synopsis of what they do. They are involved in a Charity event each year and they do several fun things throughout the year and have monthly meetings with guest speakers. They even have a "newcomers tea" to welcome new members. Sounded like a pretty good place for me to get involved and just try and meet other people "like me". I attended my first meeting yesterday. I must admit when walking in and immediately speaking to people that spoke "American", that was a breath of fresh air for me! I hadn't heard another American voice here in Aberdeen outside myself, my husband and a few people he works with (which actually are Canadians).........since I have lived here. And quickly I found that the majority of the group have husbands that work in the oil and gas industry for one company or another. I am still not quite sure where I fit into the group or if I fit into the group but I'm willing to give it a few more goes and meet a few more people and see if I can't find a few women in the group that I can relate to and hit it off with. I'm looking forward to getting involved though and hopefully doing a little to help with charity and also just enjoy some of the fun socializing events. Oddly enough, the person I did meet that I hit it off best with is from New Zealand. I found that people from all over can be part of the association and that's pretty cool too!

In closing...............see I told you it was the post that no one really wanted to hear or read. And yes, we are fortunate, we are lucky, we have this great adventure....................but this just goes to show that it's not all fun and games all the time. We have unique challenges on top of the everyday challenges that some people come across. We are still very blessed to have had this opportunity. I just wanted to kind of show the flip side of living in another country and some of the more personal challenges to over come. For me, from my eyes, I went from being independent, single and career minded...........to dependent on Jeff, married (don't get me wrong I love it) and a housewife. NEVER in all my years did I ever think I would be a housewife. Not that there is anything wrong with it........but some people are cut out for it and some people are not. I am not sure where I fall just yet.............but I am having a time adjusting and finding out!
There are days I love that we had this opportunity and there are days I am counting down the days until we can start looking toward going home. But all in all..............this has truly been an adventure to talk about in the future and something to tell our kids one day.

On a side note...............the snow has mostly melted and as did our icicle. but the last day it was still there and pretty big........the two single icicles had sort of grew together and made one big one.

I made this Irish Mint Mocha Rice pudding the other day. It was pretty tasty......for rice pudding!

No comments:

Post a Comment