Truth be told...........I've been busy! And the one or two days since I last blogged that I wasn't busy..........well I was being lazy and catching up from all the previous days of busy! Really!
Jeff finally got to come home on New Years Eve. I had a lot of things to catch up on.........like having our New Years Day lunch, celebrating his birthday, opening Christmas presents and also having Christmas dinner. So we crammed that all in over a few days. My personal favorite was celebrating his birthday. We went into Aberdeen and had Yo Sushi (very cool place) for lunch and then went to see Avatar in 3D............then did a little shopping.........and came home for chicken fried steak, mash potatoes and river bottom gravy (what Jeff calls cream gravy) and I made some cheddar chive biscuits to go with. Plus the day before I made him a Boston Cream Pie. Frankly........I'm not good at making Boston Cream Pie........and I am deeply disappointed in myself for not being able to make Boston Cream Pie better. I pride myself on my cooking abilities and all I can say is that I must continue to practice and tweak the recipe!
Christmas dinner was great and the cornbread mix finally arrived, so we were able to have dressing. We had a ton of turkey left over............but it froze well and I've made salads with it and used a little honey mustard dressing on the salad and sprinkled it with Feta Cheese and it's fab!
I got some great things for Christmas! I got some kitchen stuff, some cookbooks and my favorite thing is a crystal stem ring holder to slip my rings on when I am washing dishes, cleaning, etc. I love it! And my cookbooks have inspired me to try some new recipes. Of course I am not one to just take a recipe and make it exactly as it's printed. No, I have to change some things up.........add a little of this or that.............and just kind of make it different. I don't know why I do that, but always have. I guess it's my way of inventing a taste I enjoy out of something that someone else planted the idea for.
So I found a chocolate rice pudding that calls for orange zest and orange liquor. I personally am odd in that I am one of the few people in the world that doesn't like orange and chocolate together. So I decided to change things up a little and make an Irish Mint Chocolate rice pudding. Its chilling and setting now..........so I'll have to get back to you if it was worth it and if it's a good change to the original recipe. And I know many of you are saying, "Yuck, rice pudding?" YES.......rice pudding. It's huge here...........so I figure I might as well try and make some to see if I would like it. Honestly I think people either love it or hate it, but I like tapioca pudding, so I am thinking I'll like this.
Oh and the title...........the icicle.............Jeff and I have a couple of small tree like bushes in front of the house that cover the windows to the atrium. We've got one of them that has a growing icicle on it. We keep thinking any day now that the limb is going to break, or the icicle.........but no........it keeps growing.
And today I looked at it.......and we now have two icicles. Really........it's like the biggest icicle I have ever seen! I know it's hard to tell from the picture............but I think it's got to be at least 12 inches long and probably a couple inches round at the top.
The little things in life amuse me!
No comments:
Post a Comment