Friday, 17 September 2010

A typical day?

The pictures are hung, we finally have blinds and all the furniture and our belongings are in place. So this week I actually had a "typical" week, or what I envision will be a typical week for me until I go back to work. You know the usual, clean house, do the grocery shopping, do the household balancing of bills and just everyday things that fill your day up when you do have time off and are at home.
The first couple of days were kind of odd. I felt as if I was suppose to be unpacking a box or maybe putting something away or organizing something! I did get a chance to do those things I've been meaning to do since we moved and haven't. But mostly I found myself actually having to think about what I needed to do for the day rather than looking at my long list and trying to decide what I could get done in one day.

The house looks great and all is in place. We bought a few new furniture pieces and those were delivered yesterday and so to me, short of hanging curtains, the house is the way we like it. It feels cozy and comfy and I hope that it continues to feel like home.

I did find myself this week thinking back on Scotland and wondering what my friends were up too there and wondering what the weather was like and just reflecting on our time there. As happy as I am to be back home, I do miss the friends we made there. And I do cherish the time we had. With it being the end of September I figure that its starting to get pretty chilly there and that the long hours of darkness are starting to inch toward the longest night of the year. There is all the holiday things to look forward to with the American Women's Association and I am sure that they are all busy planning away for the things to come.

Scotland will always be a part of Jeff and I, the wonderful memories and the great friends we made there. I keep on our table two gifts we received from some friends there. One is a Quaich. It's a pewter cup/dish. We were told by our dear friends that gave it to us that you put Scotch in it (or whiskey as they call Scotch) and you share it with a friend, each friend drinking from a different side.
The other gift is a beautiful piece of slate with a soft bottom that you place on a table as a serving platter. Slate like this is used for so many things there. Mostly you find it on roofs there as that is what they use for shingles. But we have some lovely coasters made of it too and of course this fantastic serving platter that our wonderful friends gave to us. I've seen even chargers made of it that you will find in restaurants and such there.



So everyday there is a piece of Scotland in our home and we will always having the great memories of our friends. Thanks friends! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment