Today is Winter Solstice, also known as the shortest day of the year. And here, in Scotland it effects us more than we were use to in Texas. In Texas.....it was just another day and rarely could one tell the difference between it and any other winter day.
So what does it mean? Basically it's the day we all look forward too, here as the turning of the days getting longer. Read about it........
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_solstice
I must admit though, I thought it would be way more dramatic than it has been. In the summer when we had summer solstice it was very noticeable. Back in the summer it wouldn't get dark until around midnight and by 2:30am the sun was coming up again. It was torturous for a person trying to get sleep and unable to sleep when it was daylight outside.
We were told the very opposite would happen in the winter. So I was expecting there to be days that we only had about 3 hours of daylight. Thankfully that didn't really happen.
Today the sun came up around 8:30 or 9:00 and it won't get dark until around 3:30 or 4:00 tonight. So that's not to terribly bad really.
The other thing was that for some reason I was expecting the darkness at night to come earlier and earlier and just the opposite happened.........the mornings came later and later.
But Winter Solstice will be behind us tomorrow and so the days will start getting longer again. I for one am looking forward to it. The one thing I did discover through this was that my body refused to get up before 8:00am each morning without a huge effort on my part to actually wake up and get out of bed. That is late for me.........as I am typically an early riser to be up by 7:00am on a morning I am sleeping in.
And though Winter Solstice is almost behind us.............there is still snow on the ground and I have a feeling the worst of it has yet to come.
No comments:
Post a Comment