Tuesday, 16 June 2009

Fantastic views - 30 May 2009

Still not feeling fantastic, but feeling better. Jeff is sick too, so no doubt we think it’s our bodies not being use to the allergies and dust, mold and everything else around here. Moss grows on almost everything around here and while it’s really not terrible, I don’t think we are use to it. We decided today to order an air purifier, see if that won’t help us out a little.

Since we are feeling a little better today we decided to take a walk down the road and get a little fresh air. It’s a beautiful day here. Very sunny but a little chilly. It’s very hard for us to tell the temperature all around because we are in a valley, so it might seem perfectly calm here and a little warm and then you walk up the hill and it’s cold and windy. But it’s really nice today, even on the hill. I think I’ve mentioned that we live near Benholm Mill. On our walk today we found a house; its right behind our house and guarded by a wall, so we’ve never seen it before now. It’s practically ruins now but someone has taken a great deal of effort to try and keep what’s left standing, standing. Benholm is very small, but there’s a castle here, near the mill. We plan to walk over there soon, take a picture of it and I’ll write more about it. As we were walking the road behind the house we could see rolling hills all over. There looks to be a wheat field not far from our house too. And some other crop on the other side of the road, but we couldn’t tell what it was yet. I think the path will be a good place for me to take daily walks. It’s uphill going away from the house. We got to a point and got ready to turn around to walk about and as we turned around I realized we could see the ocean! So basically you walk one way, rolling hills of Scotland and you walk the other way and you can see the ocean. Absolutely beautiful and breath taking, all at the same time! I’m still in awe sometimes thinking about the fact we are actually in Scotland. I don’t think it’s fully sunk in. The walk did a lot of good for both of us, getting the fresh air.

The Rolling Hills on the Road behind the House

The view looking toward the ocean

The ocean is the dark blue to the left, rolling hills to the right


We went to Montrose the other day, just took the drive along the coastal road and enjoyed the view. We came across a place that grows asparagus. I picked up asparagus at the store the other day and its real inexpensive here. It was 1 pound for a bundle. The bundles are a little smaller than ours but that’s really a great price. I’ve been looking at everything that we buy to see where it’s grown. A lot of the veggies are grown here and there are things like avocados that are grown in South Africa and sent here. But several things I have bought I am finding that they are grown locally and I guess that’s why the prices are so low. So last night I pan seared some asparagus and Jeff grilled a couple steaks on the grill. We’ve been buying disposable grills. Yes, disposable grills. They have these little grills that are all the charcoal and all inside and you light it and then grill and throw it all away when you are done. We’ve decided though that we really want a grill that burns charcoal, so we are going to order a grill. We tried to order it today but the one he wants is out of stock. So maybe next week.

We got prawns the other day too (shrimp) and we got some wheat pasta that is spinach and garlic flavored pasta. It must seem I talk about food a lot but I am really enjoying finding the things they have here and I can’t wait to get our full shipment when I have all my cooking stuff and I can make some really neat meals. I am limited by the dishes and pans I have right now.

So tonight I am going to make the prawns and wheat pasta for dinner.

Jeff’s job got delayed a little, so he’s likely going out tomorrow or the following day. And we should get internet next week and also get Sky satellite.

No comments:

Post a Comment