So I promised pictures and a blog for everyone that wants to keep in touch while Jeff and I are in Scotland. I don’t have internet yet, so as I am typing this, it’s the 22nd of May and it’s my second day in Scotland. As soon as I get internet I will post this, but just FYI……….its May 22nd as I am typing this.
So we arrived safely. By “we” I mean me and the cats. We were on the same flight to London but when we got to London they had to go through the UK animal place to get their pet passports checked so they wouldn’t have to go into quarantine. So I got on another flight to Aberdeen and they were delayed for a few hours getting paperwork checked. So Jeff picked me up from the airport, brought me home and then went back for them because someone had to be here to accept our air shipment that was coming in the afternoon. And so we got that yesterday too. So we have some stuff, not everything and basically just the basics to tied us over until the rest of the stuff arrives by sea. Hopefully in the next month, but could be as long as six weeks.
I was pretty tired when I got in yesterday, so I haven’t seen a whole lot, other than the ride home and of course around the house. The house is BEAUTIFUL! From the front door you can see this really old bridge, probably 200 years old, if not older than that. From the kitchen window we have a hill behind us and this morning when I was cleaning up the kitchen I seen two cotton tails playing on the slopes. Some of you I told about the bizarre colors of the inside of the house. It’s not bad at all actually; the pictures made it look a little more “vibrant” than it actually is. I can see our things going well. We might need to make a few minor adjustments with curtains and such, but it’s actually a really nice house! It’s big too! Especially for the UK. We have a utility room and it has a washing machine, dishwasher and dryer in it, along with another sink. One day I’ll have to write you about the dryer. Very interesting how things are done here. Those that thought I would get bored……..I doubt it. There’s something to do every day and I’ve come to learn that they must do laundry every day or every other day, along with grocery shopping every couple of days as well. And the dishwasher is VERY small, so unless you are washing dishes sometimes by hand, you won’t be able to get much in them and you would have to run it daily. But it all looks new. The fridgerator is very small! It’s like those 4 cu ft ones that we have there………..kind of like the “dorm” ones. We have a separate freezer, stand alone that is in the garage. Oh and there is no entry to the garage from the inside of the house, like most houses in the States have. And no garage door opener either. So if you want something from the garage you go unlock it and open the door by hand!
I am still amazed at the fact there is no a/c and you wouldn’t believe how incredibly comfortable the house and air is. Yesterday was beautiful, sunshine and one of the warmer days they have and it was still comfortable in the house. We do think getting some sort of air filter system or something would be nice though, to just circulate air, if nothing else. Like most houses here, there is no a/c but each room as a space heater. And this house is a two story house, so if you want to run the dryer, you can actually open doors and kind of let it make its way up the stairs and it will warm the upstairs. Each room, even the kitchen, has a door that can be closed if we want to keep warm air in one place or another. I spent the better part of a day (while traveling) around Brits with an accent and their own vocabulary for things. So as soon as I did arrive, Jeff noticed I had already started grouping words together like they do and I told him how while I was on the plane, since I was by the window, going to the “loo” (aka restroom) was a pain for everyone on my row. So I think if I spent a lot of time around people besides Americans I will probably pick up a lot of their vocabulary and such.
I snapped several pictures yesterday of the house and a few things on our way home. The ocean is RIGHT there. It’s beautiful! On our way home the road is right near the coast. And it’s not far from our house at all. You can’t see it from our house due to the hills, but we hear that’s a good thing because the winds off of it make it a bit miserable. I can’t seem to locate my cord to upload pictures to my computer from my camera, but hopefully I will find it by the time I post this on the blog so you can see some pictures. I’ll post a lot of pictures as I see things and we go places, etc. I can tell you all now that even the smallest things are kind of funny to me. Like the little bitty milk cartons they have and it’s considered their “large” one. I didn’t look at the size on it but it’s less than a quart of milk, I know for sure. And that’s their large!!! Their milk doesn’t last long, just a few days. Of course everything as far as volume goes is in metric, but things like miles and such are in English feet. So I’m having to learn that all over again, along with their currency, what each pence is and know so that I won’t pick up what looks like a quarter, thinking its 25 cents and its actually 10 pence.
Well I will go for now. I’ll write more soon and I’ll post often. This will definitely be a cool experience. Oh by the way, it was sunny this morning and the bluest sky I’ve ever seen. But now it’s raining. But still very pretty outside right now. ;) And I left Houston Wednesday at 4:00pm and when I arrived in London it was 7:00am in the morning on Thursday for them (6 hours time difference). So when I got to Aberdeen I somehow managed to make myself stay awake until around 9:00pm so I could start getting acclimated. I’m still a little tired today (Friday) but I am managing. I slept for 8 hours. Oh and one more thing before I go………it doesn’t get dark here until about 11:00pm and daybreak is around 3am right now. And one of our bedroom windows faces the East. Gonna have to get some darker curtains in that room. Thankfully the long days doesn’t last but a few months! ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment